In April, Rizzoli published Shirin Neshat, with text by Arthur C. Danto.
Neshat’s first feature-length film, Women Without Men, premiered in fall 2009, and won the Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival; see Sarah Kerr, NYRBlog; Homa Khaleeli, Guardian; Frans Josef Pedersson, Aftonbladet; Andreas Kilb, FAZ; Valerie Duponchelle, Le Figaro; Tobias Timm, Die Zeit; Sabine Damaschke, Deutsche Welle; Stephen Holden, New York Times; Rainer Gansera, SZ.
In recent years, several discussions of Neshat’s work have been published in academic journals, including:
- Iftikhar Dadi, “Shirin Neshat’s Photographs as Postcolonial Allegories,” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 34:1 (Autumn 2008), pp. 125-150
- Adair Rounthwaite, “Veiled Subjects: Shirin Neshat and Non-liberatory Agency,” Journal of Visual Culture 7:2 (August 2008)
- Aphrodite Désirée Navab, “Unsaying Life Stories: The Self-Representational Art of Shirin Neshat and Ghazel,” Journal of Aesthetic Education 41:2 (Summer 2007)
- Ulrike Sieglohr, “Sonic Hybridity and Visual Dualism in the Work of Sussan Deyhim and Shirin Neshat,” Music, Sound, and the Moving Image 1:1 (June 2007; Project MUSE)
- Babak A. Ebrahimian, “Framing Diaspora: Solidarity and the individual in the works of Shirin Neshat,” Feminist Media Studies 6:1 (March 2006), pp. 85-99
- Wendy Meryem K. Shawa, “Ambiguity and audience in the films of Shirin Neshat,” Third Text 15:57 (Winter 2001)
A number of interviews have also appeared, including:
- “Das war wie ein Schock,” interview with Anke Leweke, Tageszeitung (7/1/2010)
- “Auch frühere Generationen haben gekämpft,” interview with J. Häntzschel, Sueddeutsche.de (6/30/2010)
- “Io, dissidente iraniana ed eterna esule vi chiedo: aiutate i registi in carcere,” interview with Claudia Morgoglione, La Repubblica (3/5/2010)
- Rüdiger Suchsland, “Wir sind ein Volk: Ein Gespräch mit Shirin Neshat,” FAZ.Net (9/10/2009)
- Eleanor Heartney, “Shirin Neshat: An Interview,” Art in America (6/16/2009)
- Scott MacDonald, “Between Two Worlds: An Interview with Shirin Neshat,” Feminist Studies 30:3 (winter 2004)
- Valentina Vitali, “Between Art and Cinema: A Conversation with Shirin Neshat,” N.Paradoxa 12 (2003) pp. 33-43
- “Passage to Iran: Shirin Neshat interviewed by Babak Ebrahimian,” PAJ 72 (September 2002; Project MUSE)
- “Shirin Neshat by Arthur C. Danto,” BOMB 73 (fall 2000)
- Jenni Sorkin, “A conversation with Shirin Neshat,” Make: The Magazine of Women’s Art 88 (June/August 2000), pp. 20-21
- Shadi Sheybani, “Women of Allah: A Conversation with Shirin Neshat,” Michigan Quarterly Review 38:2 (Spring 1999), pp. 204-16.
See also the artist’s page at Gladstone Gallery; several books on Neshat published by Charta (at artbook.com); Minna Proctor, “New Style Sacred Allegory: The Video Art of Shirin Neshat,” Aperture 166 (Spring 2002); Ronald Jones, “Sovereign Remedy: The Art of Shirin Neshat,” Artforum 38:2 (October 1999) p. 110-13; bibliography at the Frances Loeb Library, Harvard.